Whether flying into, driving down, or cruising in, Key West is an ideal carefree destination where good times await. Especially more so with the Key West Bar Card in hand. Situated at the very end of the Florida Keys, closer to Havana, Cuba, than the nearest Walmart, you will find yourself at Mile Marker Zero.
At the end of the road, lined with swaying palms, gentle breezes, and vibrantly painted skies, one will find that it truly is five o’clock somewhere. This is where the sidewalk ends; iguanas, chickens, and six-toed cats are among your new friends. So, I’m sure you can imagine that Margaritaville isn’t far away.
You are now ready to relax, unwind, and let your worries go. Welcome to paradise! You’re on one of the islands in The Conch Republic. Cayo Hueso, you may know it by its newer, more familiar name Key West.
Now before we can get to wastin’ away again and enjoying live music from the numerous bars in Old Town, there is one essential thing that you should have with you. Money? No, but it is helpful. Car keys? Not quite. A positive attitude? Well, yes, but besides that, I’m talking about the Key West Bar Card! Do you know about it?
What is the Key West Bar Card?
This little gem will save you money on your vacation. How so, you ask? Do you like to drink? How about free drinks daily? If so, read on. Alright, let’s break it down. If you have your Bar Card, you can get a 2-4-1 drink at thirteen different establishments once a day.
For Example – You are down at Schooner Wharf to grab a bite to eat or catch some live music. Ask one of the bartenders for a drink of your choice. It could be a bloody mary, Schooner-Rita, beer, or wine. Show your Key West Bar Card, and you will get a second drink for free after you finish the first.
How to Use Your Key West Bar Card
The best part about the bar card is that you can use it more than once. You can use your card once daily at each participating location, and it doesn’t expire until the end of the year. Do you want to add all the possibilities? I’ll wait. It’s a damn good deal! The Key West Bar Card has glowing reviews, and I understand why.
Example 2 – You have a few bar-card drinks at Schooner and make your way to Two Friends. You can use your bar card again and try out that tasty Key Lime Martini or whatever strikes your fancy. You will still get two drinks for the price of 1 because of your bar card. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. You could fashion your personal Key West Crawl.
The Bar Card can quickly pay for itself in one day, getting you a buy one get one deal at each bar. It’s like having a magical day-drinking discount card in your wallet. Remember, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning! Schooner’s first happy hour is at 8 am. (Just sayin’). This card isn’t only for those who visit. You will see plenty of locals that have them as well.
Bar Card Rules
Your card is only for you. You can’t share your deal with your wife, significant other, girlfriend, or friends. They have to buy their own. Written on the card, it says, “for the Individual Cardholder Only valid for a buy 1, get one free drink, up to $10 off.” The cards are not transferable, and there are a couple of blackout dates, so take notice. Read the FAQ for further information.
Where to Buy the Key West Bar Card
The bar card can be ordered online and shipped to you or picked up while in town. The cost for your very own personal happy hour maker is $20. Currently, 13 participating locations accept the Key West Bar Card in 2023.
Where Can You Use the Bar Card
- Schooner Wharf – “A last little piece of Old Key West” in the historic seaport
- First Flight Island Restaurant & Brewery – The birthplace of Pan Am Airways
- Hard Rock Cafe – Rock out with memorabilia and food on Duval Street
- Sinz Burritos – It’s a sin not to try amazing Mexican food & drink whenever available
- Smokin’ Tuna Saloon – Live music, lunch and dinner options, always a buzz going on
- Mellow Cafe & Gastropub – Craft brew and plenty more on tap pair with tacos, poke, and wraps
- Viva Argentinian Steakhouse – Fabulous steaks, empanadas, sangria, and more right on Duval
- Two Friends Patio Restaurant – Breakfast, lunch, and dinner with local favorites and live music
- The Backyard Bar – Relax in the back with a drink and a menu served up by Kaya Island Eats
- Salty Frog’s Bar & Grill – Nashville came south and brought lively food and music to the Keys
- Off The Hook – Seafood heaven that opens at 4 with live music, happy hour, and daily specials
- Margaritaville Restaurant ( new for 2023) – Have a cheeseburger and margarita in paradise
- Dive Bar Shirt Club (opening soon, new for 2023) – TBD
Map of Bars that Accept the Bar Card
Where to Get a Bar Card in Key West
Here are the retail locations on the island where you can pick up a Key West Bar Card.
- You can walk into KWest Fine Wines & Liquor store on Duval street and buy a Key West Bar Card (That’s what I did.)
- If you are near Mary Ellen’s, you can purchase a card at Leather Master on Appelrouth Lane.
- Leo’s Campground out on Stock Island has them.
- And if you find yourself at the Smokin’ Tuna or First Flight, you can purchase and use them at those participating bar card locations immediately.
You can make every hour a happy hour while on vacation with your Key West bar card. I hope you make the most of your time in The Conch Republic. If the bar card seems a good fit, plan to grab one for your stay. Take it easy out there, remember there is no sad hour, and stay hydrated.
P.S. Don’t forget to tip those hard-working people taking care of you. Please tip appropriately; if using your card, that would be for two drinks.
I hope you found this post helpful for your planning. Also, if you have friends coming down, share it with them to be better prepared when they visit.
Pin below to save for later on Pinterest
Where To Stay in Key West?
Review hotels and locations that best suit your needs for your Key West trip below.
Find the best deals on Key West hotels here.
Are you looking for fun activities to do in Key West?
Here are some of the most popular experiences people don’t want to miss out on. Click to learn more, and book yours today!
For more Key West posts, see below.
- Thanksgiving in Key West 2022
- Royal Red Shrimp: A Key West Love Affair
- 10 Key West Restaurants on Duval Street
- Restaurant & Theater Tour Card by the Key West Woman’s Club
- The Best Key West Experiences You Won’t Want to Miss
Get Ready to Book Your Trip: Helpful Links and Resources
Book Your Flight
I use Skyscanner to find and research my airfare needs and to locate the best flight deals. It searches worldwide on many airlines to help you find the best options.
Book Your Stay
Booking.com is my go-to for finding a place to stay anywhere globally. An outstanding company that I trust and have used for many years. Find accommodation from budget to luxury in cities and countries around the world. If you happen to be backpacking and staying in hostels, I recommend Hostelworld to help you find a place to stay.
Get Travel Insurance
Travel is unpredictable. Anything could happen. A trip interruption, flight delay, lost or stolen items, or personal injury, having comprehensive trip insurance will protect you if anything goes wrong. SafetyWing is a solid choice for most travelers. If you are older, want to compare several plans, and to gather more information, look at InsureMyTrip.
Tours, Activities, and Things to Do
Viator (a TripAdvisor company) offers many excellent options to keep you busy wherever you may be. From walking and food tours to sunset cruises and more. Make sure to give them a look and add some fun-filled activities to your itinerary.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend companies and products that I use myself and believe in.